Château de Bourdeilles
Bourdeilles Castle is one of the four baronies in Périgord with Biron, Beynac and Mareuil.
The first traces of Bourdeilles took back a fortified town, in 1183, which took in monks with the relics of Saint-Sicaire.
It is at this place that was set up, at the end of 13th century, the body of a feudal building which still remains.
For several centuries, torn apart between the Crown of France and of England, Bourdeilles castle went through many political and religious storms. Defensive in the beginning, many times coveted, scene of bloody epics, freed from the English and given back to the Earl of Perigord by Duguesclin.
The newfound peace, Jacquette de Montbron builds, at the end of the 15th century, the Renaissance castle not far away from the medieval fortress.
Bourdeilles also is an attractive castle testifying to a new elegant art of living. Exceptional unique collection of furniture in France.
ANIMATIONS (from 6 years old)
- Workshop Heraldry (blazon): Appeared in the Middle Ages, blazons are one of the most characteristic elements of this period. Linked to imaginary of knights, battlefields and tournaments, the heraldry is an authentic language. This workshop will present to children the codes to respect to create a blazon. It will be then in their turn to choose their colors and their figures to create with paintings their own blazon.
- Workshop Calligraphy and illumination: Children will have opportunity to learn more on the medieval book and illumination, to discover various types of writing and to try one’s hand using to reed pen. Then they will carry out a card with their first name decorated in the manner of a Gothic illuminated page.
- Workshop sigillography: after a quick historic review, children will make a mold or a stamp
- Night treasure hunt on Thursday at 7:30pm from 7th of july to 25th of august.
Tours and schedules
Annual closure from January the 1st to the mid of February.
February, March, November and December : 10.00 to 12.30 am / 2.00 to 5.30 pm (closed on Monday)
April, May, June, September and October : 10.00 am to 1.00 pm / 2.00 to 6.00 pm
July and August : 10.00 am to 7.00 pm
(From 20 people)
1 free accompanying adult for 10 pupils
1 free courier
Bus drivers are not paying
Booking phone : 05 53 05 65 60
Gift shop - book shop – restrooms – free carpark
CB (Visa – Mastercard) is accepted
Dogs are not allowed
Individuals: adult: 8.20 € / child (5 to 12): 5.30 €
Groups: adult and schools from 12: 6.50 € / schools under 12: 3.20 €
Audioguide rental on spot or download of the app (Apple / android)
- ZIP Code: F-24310
- City: Bourdeilles
- Phone: 00-335 53 03 73 36